January 3, 2011

A very furry birthday

When we found out Bubba was sick and started him on his medication course, the vet told us not to get our hopes up. "With most dogs, this will get you about 1-2 months," he told us. "Best case scenario, you're looking at six months. But I really wouldn't count on that. I'm sorry."

That was in June.

Which means we, happily, are living the best-case scenario, and then some.

Both of us know that, really, there isn't anything we can do for Bubba besides give him his meds, hope for the best and give him lots of hugs, smooches and treats. But one of our goals, however silly, was to get him to his next birthday. In June, that seemed like a ridiculous goal. Completely unreachable.

But Dec. 17 rolled around, and what do you know?

Turns out our little, mild-mannered dog is a fighter.

So it was only fitting that we give the little trooper a proper birthday party, complete with Bil-Jac (aka: Dog Crack):



...and, of course, Frosty Paws:



I don't have any pictures of the actual birthday party because, frankly, it was all kind of a blur of wagging tail nubbins and drool, but here is the birthday boy in his happy post-gorge coma:



It was a good day in the Goad house. :)

Our next goal for him was Christmas, and he knocked that one out of the park. Next up? Taking 2011 by storm. We can totally do this.

6 backtalk:

Unknown said...

Oh I love this. I can't wait to share this with my mom.

Our dog Yoda was given 2 weeks at the most. I was heartbroken. We got a second opinion and the new vet had some medicine ideas. He ended up giving us 2 more years with him.

There can always be hope.

Unknown said...

So so wonderful.

So so happy for all of you!

Maura said...

Fabulous, Shannon. So glad to hear Bubba's fighting the good fight. He deserves lots and lots of Biljack.

You know, I know the guy who invented Frosty Paws and Biljack. He lives across the street from my parents. His name is Bill, by the way. I never thought to ask him, but I wonder if he had a co-developer named Jack.

And now, a note to Bubba from me: Who's a good boy, huh? Who's a good boyyyyy!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Sweet baby boy.

I'm so glad he had a great birthday.

Malissa said...

happy birthday, bubba! from your auntie M and your cousin Marlie

Wrestling Kitties said...

Oh, this is so sweet and so is Bubba!

Our Golden Retriever Lady LOVED Frosty paws. Every friday my parents would get dessert and lady would get her FP....she would get so excited because she knew it was coming! Love it.

BIG HUGS and rubs on the head to Bubba!

I'm Reading:

 

Written Permission | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates