December 3, 2010

Sort of gross. Sorry. But I need your help.





So. Are we all familiar with the Neti Pot?

No?

Well, allow me to provide you with a visual:




(I love the guy's super excited expression. Considering that his account of using the Neti Pot includes phrases like "nasal burning/drowning sensation," I don't trust that perky thumbs-up so much.)

Anyway.

It's supposed to flush out your sinuses. And friends, gross as it may be, that's what I need. The things happening in my nose and beyond would frighten small children.

I've tried things like Mucinex in the past -- it serves only to move the problem from my head to my lungs, which, frankly, I can do without. I've tried nasal sprays, both saline and prescription (antihistamine and steroid). I've tried blowing my nose until it's raw and I'm lightheaded.

It ain't working.

Please tell me someone out there has either tried this, or has some kind of advice about this, or has some other, better, preferably-homeopathic remedy for sinuses filled with rubber cement? (I know. Ew. Sorry.)

Because before I try something called The Nose Bidet, I really feel that I need a personal recommendation.

15 backtalk:

Jamie said...

i'm curious what others say about this. all my friends use them, but i find them freaky.

Sarah said...

I started using one while I was pregnant because I didn't want to take ANY meds.

It's definitely not a pleasant thing to do to yourself, especially not the first time, but it's not horrible. It's doable. And, it WORKS.

There is certainly a sense of drowning. Really, you ARE pouring salt water into you sinuses. And then comes a feeling of insane pressure. THEN pure relief.

My BEST advice: just do it in the shower. So much easier than trying to lean over the sink.

Abbe said...

these terrify me. i could never master the art of diving in swimming lessons because i.hate.getting.water.up.my.nose. but i live in a hippy city. lots of my friends have gladly braved the neti pot. and they all seem to LOVE them. if i ever got to the point where nothing else worked, believe you me, i would turn to the neti pot. and make sure there was a lifeguard present.... :)

Amber said...

I have one and use it regularly. I love it! It really helps me. It's awkward at first, but it totally works. Do you have any specific questions or do you want me to ramble?

Sassytimes said...

I have one and use it during allergy season. It works wonders! I prefer to use it in the shower.

Unknown said...

Um, it kind of scares me. I don't think I could do it, but do hope you will provide a detailed account of your experience if/when you try it. :)

Written Permission said...

OK, you all are making me feel a little braver about trying this. Abbe, I'm exactly the same as you: I HATE getting water up my nose. It bothers me for hours and hours afterward. I think I'm most afraid of accidentally inhaling while I'm doing it and drowning in my own shower, which has to be in the top 5 humiliating deaths.

For those of you who use it: Any tips for making not feel quite so drown-y? Anything I should make sure I DON'T do? Do I need a soothing mantra?

(The more I look at these pictures, the more this looks like a joke you would play on someone. Like snipe hunting. "No, really -- you put it up to your nose and it works like magic! You totally won't die!")

Erika Jean said...

I <3 my Netti Pot! I wrote a post about it not to long ago )http://www.erikajean.com/2010/09/neti-pot.html) :-)

Unknown said...

I may or may not have tried using Athena's teapot for this purpose but couldn't get it right.

What is wrong with me? Is there a learning curve?

Abbe said...

definitely top 5 most humiliating ways to die. so i'll just let you go ahead and try it, then report back. i'll be waiting. :)

Anonymous said...

I use the NeilMed sinus rinse and I love it! It does take some practice tho. And I haven't tried the neti pot.I like to squirt not pour...:)but that's just me.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Oh, this things scares me! I had done a post some time ago and people suggested using this and said it gets really good results. My sinuses are horrible, but I can NOT bring myself to use this as I am just too much of a chicken shit. Please let me know if you use it and what you think.

That guy is such a dweeb! I don't trust him either.

Iris Took said...

The phrase nasal burning/drowning sensation is why I don't try this. But I think I am being a wuss.

Every morning I wake up and need to blow my nose for 10 minutes. Maybe I try.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I've heard that you can actually OVER-use one of these things. It was on Dr. Oz.

B. said...

I have a neti pot and I use it when the sinuses feel like they are acting up and it seems to keep it all away. I love it. It is definitely a little weird at first but you get used to it.

I also have a coworker who loves hers and swears by it. Her cousin is in theater and they all use it there since using medications might make them groggy or screw up their singing voices.

I'm Reading:

 

Written Permission | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates