October 22, 2009

Writing update

I had a fairly productive writing week this week. After another Sunday afternoon Panera writing session, I had half of another story written. Progress! :)

This is the last of the five stories in my first "series," and I'll be so excited to get them done! Well, done-ish. They still need a lot of review and revision, and I still need to try to trim them up a bit, but overall I'm trying to feel happy about where I am and what I've accomplished so far.

As I wrote to a friend of mine last week, I've been experiencing a little bit of a block when it comes to these stories. I'm realizing that I really don't know that much about writing children's books. It's a COMPLETELY different style of writing than I'm used to, and just because I'm trained/experienced in several other types of writing doesn't mean I can automatically do this, too.

It's also really, really easy to get distracted by all the other things I'm doing and want to do. But I really want to see this through, so I'm going to stick with it. I think it might be time to revisit and reset my timeline, set some new goals and get cracking on them.

Oh, also: I just had a thought the other day (while I was driving, of course; I get all my best ideas while I'm driving) for another series of children's books. Since (as previously mentioned) I know practically nothing about children's books, it makes sense that all my ideas are in that vein, right? Oy.

1 backtalk:

Anna@MetaMusings said...

I'm so glad the Panera session turned out to be fruitful! :)

I'm Reading:

 

Written Permission | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates