November 22, 2010

My best friend is a freak of nature

"Shan, c'mere -- you've gotta see these awful hats."

B, her mama and I are milling around the gift shop at a Cracker Barrel, smelling candles, pressing buttons that make felt-covered Santas dance and mocking some truly horrible T-shirt sayings.

I round the corner to where they're standing, facing a shelf full of half-off hats. And "awful" is being kind. They're floppy, they're in colors that don't (or shouldn't) exist in nature -- The CB is being optimistic with their "50% Off" sign.

I immediately throw a royal blue plaid newsboy cap (five words that should never be put together) and throw up a peace sign. B and her mom laugh obligingly.

After a few comments (from me) about how unnaturally large my head is, I pick up another plaid hat, this one with a strange buckle thing on the side, and hand it to B.

"Here," I snort. "Try this gem."

She pulls it on, and:




{Angels singing}

Her mom and I stare at her. "What?" B says self-consciously.

SHE LOOKS ADORABLE. How is this possible??

In the end, despite her protests that she's never worn a hat in her life other than her band uniform in high school, we basically force her to get the hat. Anyone who can take a ridiculous-looking piece of clothing and manage to make it look this adorable needs to share her gift with the world.

In other news, we had a wonderful day of eating, classical music and laughing until our stomachs hurt. And hats. Freakishly flattering hats.

I love you, B! You fabulous freak of nature. :)

7 backtalk:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Ha! I saw B's picture and was like, "Omg! What are they talking about? That hat is adorable?"

Unknown said...

My first thought when I saw the photo. . . ADORABLE. . . I completely affirm that purchase. :)

Wrestling Kitties said...

Agree...someone looks awesome in that hat!

Sounds like a FUN day!

Sarah said...

very cute! I definitely would llok like a fool trying to wear that!

Malissa said...

so cute on her!! she's a hat girl now!

Mickey D. said...

Did she buy it? If not, you should go back and get it and give it to her for Christmas. Looks great!

freckleface said...

I love hats...I'm a hat person!

I'm Reading:

 

Written Permission | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates